That third picture does say it has seen it's share of mud. As for the frame. The earlier ones had that issue on those mounts. I ran a small brace at a 45 from the frame out to the support, front and back, as well as rewelding the frame. About 3" over on the frame and 3" out on the support. I could actually feel the stiffness this added when it was done.
Will be interesting to watch the work and transformation. You will know the machine for sure.
engine first and then i will repair the other things i have found already as i go. it will be rebuilt with john deere parts. was just going to replace crank and bearings but i think i'll do pistons and rings as well while i have it apart. or at least rings. depending on how things look. it has some major looseness in rear suspension, drive shaft carrier bearings rough as well. plus some major mud removal!! some really tenacious and smelly mud! i think mud is probably what caused most if not all its issues. previous owner also discarded body mounts and welded 2" square tubing in for a body lift and bolted it solid. no vibration dampening at all. i'll have to figure out how i am going to rectify that. then on to the body. got a mod or 2 planned plus new paint. don't like white
Last Edit: Mar 12, 2019 19:33:10 GMT -5 by firebird
mud, mud and more mud, while i was installing engine today i happened to notice rear diff vent tube appeared plugged up. pulled it off and it was plugged solid from one end to the other with mud!! even the little metal nipple on the diff was plugged. be draining both diff's tomorrow